Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Who has time to write?

My friends at the Internet Writing Workshop blog pose an interesting poll question:
WHAT WOULD HELP YOU WRITE 500-1000 WORDS A DAY?

For me, it's fewer distractions. I can work on a million writing-related activities such as blogging, email, marketing my books, reading about writing, going to meetings, updating websites, critiquing, chatting, and on and on. Then there are critical activities like putting out the trash, taking a walk, playing with the cats, having lunch, putting away the dishes, watching Morning Joe, drinking coffee, photgraphing flowers blooming in the yard... Can you tell that I'm retired? By the time all this activity is out of the way, can you see that I lack either time or energy to write?

Maybe I need to make writing a higher priority. I'll do that tomorrow for sure. Right now I'm meeting a friend at Starbucks.

4 comments:

sarah corbett morgan said...

Pretty funny, Bob, and I can relate. Right now I've added house training puppies to the distraction list. That'll keep you running!

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I agree with you, Bob. ‘Life’ is constantly interfering with my available writing time.

Jane Kennedy Sutton
Author of The Ride
http://janekennedysutton.blogspot.com/

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Um, I'll take all of the above for $500, Alex...?

Distractions (those 20 emails you did not factor in that you HAD to respond to) and the daily STUFF!

I think the daily stuff makes me nuttier. Maybe I need a maid...

L. Diane Wolfe
www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com
www.spunkonastick.net
www.thecircleoffriends.net

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

Starbucks would make me more productive. The trailer I'm making for the blog party is coming along nicely!

One year later