Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Review of Jeff Rivera's Effortless Marketing

Yesterday I downloaded Jeff Rivera's 99-cent e-book, Effortless Marketing: How I Sold Thousands of Ebooks, Landed an Agent and Book Deal in Just 10 Minutes a Day Using Message Boards. Today I spent two hours in a doctor's waiting room with my Kindle and read the book from beginning to end. Other than a couple of small blips, it's a decent resource for us indie authors.

As its title suggests, it focuses on how to effectively use message boards, stressing the importance of visiting boards with 5,000 to 10,000 users. Of course, different writers will likely have different audiences, but I wish the book gave at least a few examples of large boards. If you know of some, please reply to this post with the information. In the meantime, here are the most promising links I've come up with:

http://rankings.big-boards.com/
http://directory.big-boards.com/
http://www.fictiondb.com/

The Big Boards site has a comprehensive-looking list on various topics and in various languages. If I find specific links on that site that seem promising, I promise to share and hope you'll do the same.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just dropping by to say hi Bob

Ryan Schneider said...

I discovered Jeff's so-called "book" via a spam email lauding my talent, seeking advice, and offering a link to his so-called "book."

This is highly unethical. This is spam. This is bullsh*t. If Jeff is involved in this, I shall not say directly what he ought to do with himself, but it involves a very, very tall building and a LOT of gravity.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Bob for the links. I'll check it out. I also would like to see authors like this give a list of a few dozen boards with this many followers, if only for an example and to tell us they know what they're talking about, rather than throwing large numbers out there for the WOW effect.

Morgan Mandel said...

Too much to hope that there's an easy way to market

Bob Sanchez said...

Hey Ryan, you're not being fair. Have you read the book? It has useful information in it. I happen to think the word "effortless" is hyperbole, but that doesn't make it a bad book.

Marian Allen said...

Bob, I think Ryan was objecting to the method of recommending a book by pretending to send a personal email.

I got the same email, and spent some time responding to a question in it, finding information the questioner asked for, and then followed her recommendation and realized I'd been spammed.

It left a bad taste in my mouth, but that doesn't mean the book is worthless, and I don't think Ryan was saying so. It's just that that particular method of marketing is off-putting, to say the least.

Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Ten minutes on boards? Like the ones at Amazon?

Morgan Mandel said...

And you keep a doctor that makes you wait 2 hours, because it's the only chance you have to read, is that right?

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Wow! We can only hope for such ease of marketing. I agree with Morgan about your doctor!

Thanks for sharing!
Monti
Mary Montague Sikes

Bob Sanchez said...

I was just keeping my wife company for a routine appointment. Doc was late, then took forever. Thank goodness for my Kindle, which kept me happily occupied.

Dani said...

Sounds like an old-fashioned doctor or someone who chronically overbooks. Which one, Bob? ;)

Bob Sanchez said...

The latter, Dani. I think he begins his day an hour late, and it gets worse through the day.