Tuesday, April 07, 2015

A to Z Challenge: Fianchetto

This month brings the A to Z Challenge, which I choose to meet with a series of words that thus far may have escaped your attention, and deservedly so. Today's word of limited use is

Fianchetto
If you ever played chess, you know this word already. From the Italian word for flank, in chess it refers to moving one's bishop one square into the knight's column early in the game. If you look at the intersections b2, b7, g2 and g7, you'll see the pieces represented by mitres. Those are the bishops, and they have all been fianchettoed.

If you never played chess, you can impress (maybe) a friend by pointing out a fianchettoed bishop as you pass by players in Harvard Square. Otherwise, never mind.

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I have played chess, but it's been a long time since I heard that word.

T. Powell Coltrin said...

I should claim the never mind, because i'm just embarrassing when I try to play Chess. Great word, though.

Teresa

Unknown said...

I wonder what advantage fianchetting gives you?

Bob Sanchez said...

Michael, it gives a bishop the chance to control, or at least fight for, the long diagonal.

NAJ said...

My brother is playing chess and I don't. He'll be surprised I'll teach him something. Haha. Thanks for sharing this and thanks for dropping by in my blog!

Bob Sanchez said...

Just another public service, NAJ. You show your brother a thing or two.