Saturday, April 18, 2015

A to Z Challenge: Pettifoggery

Hello again, fellow A to Z travelers and other cyberspace wanderers. This month we're working our way through the alphabet to find words that you might not often see but are part of our beautiful language. Today's word is

19th-century pettifoggery: Each assigns blame to
someone else, and each is right.
Pettifoggery
This is bickering over unimportant matters. It's not a word I knew as a lad, but my brothers and I engaged in lots of it. Whose turn was it to wash the dishes? That was a perennial favorite source of pettifoggery in my household.

If you'd be so kind as to leave a comment, I will reciprocate.

1 comment:

D.G. Hudson said...

Isn't that what politicians do? The meaning makes sense (petty issues, and fogging the air rather than clearing it. . .)

Dropping by via the A to Z. Good choice for the letter P.