Thursday, April 23, 2015

A to Z Challenge: Tittle

We're back again with a post for the A to Z Challenge. Most readers will have come across the phrase "every jot and tittle," meaning every last tiny detail. Specifically, a tittle is the dot over the i or j, as in this illustration borrowed from the Web:



One of the earliest uses of the phrase appears to come from the King James Bible, Matthew 5:18: "For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled."

Incidentally, Tittle is also the last name of the great pro football player Y. A. Tittle, who quarterbacked for the Colts, the 49ers, and the Giants.



4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

First place in the Bible - wow.
I remember that football player.

Anonymous said...

I think I've heard this before, but it wasn't something I committed to memory.

~Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
Member of C. Lee's Muffin Commando Squad
Story Dam
Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

Mandy - Frugal Full Time Mom said...

I did not know the little dot had a name. Very interesting

djinnia said...

Wow! I didn't know that. How cool!