Monday, June 01, 2009

RV trip, day 4: Buena no Vista


Vendors at Palace of the Governors, Santa Fe


Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi, Santa Fe

Today we skipped the Interstate and drove north on US 285, paralleling the Sangre de Cristo Mountains and then the Rockies. During the day, clouds thickened and showers followed. By the time we arrived at Buena Vista, Colorado, we found the vista not all that buena. That's fine, though, as we'll be here three nights—oh, wait, it's supposed to rain until Thursday. We are close to Breckenridge, Vail, and such, and will take a couple of day trips in the little Saturn we towed behind us. If the clouds break up long enough, I'll catch a few snapshots of those snow-covered 14,000-foot rocks.

News flash: at 8,000 feet above sea level, the air is thin. I tried to take a walk and found the breathing difficult. Well, that's a good excuse to avoid doing much!

Before taking leave of our friends yesterday, we were all chuckling over our visit to one of the art galleries on Canyon Road in Santa Fe. The place has a room full of paintings with risqué captions. The paintings are in a style similar to that of Far Side cartoonist Gary Larson. One shows a dorky, middle-aged woman with a smug expression on her face. The caption says, "The way Eunice saw it, if he didn't want to see his name in print, he shouldn't have fucked a writer."

There. I knew I could make this post writing-related.

3 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

The vendors in Santa Fe remind me of those I'd see at Old Town in Albuquerque.

And yes, the air is very thin! I remember day we arrived in Abq. We stayed with a friend for a couple days who lived on the third floor and I could not figure out why I was so out of breath hauling our stuff up and down the stairs! Eventually my husband and I started jogging up and down Tramway Blvd, but I don't think I ever totally adjusted to the thin air. We were in great shape, though!

L. Diane Wolfe
www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com
www.spunkonastick.net
www.thecircleoffriends.net

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Sounds like a great work of art!LOL

Jane Kennedy Sutton
http://janekennedysutton.blogspot.com/

Cindy said...

lol