Saturday, April 06, 2013

F is for Friday, which today isn't


Fridays always hold a special place in my heart. Fridays were often paydays. Five o'clock on Friday meant the beginning of the weekend, and sometimes the beginning of a July week of vacationing on Cape Cod in Massachusetts. That usually led to traffic jams on Route 3, wet bathing suits, sand between our toes, and baskets of fried clams. One of my employers gave employees Friday afternoons off for a couple of months in the summer, and I spent many of those extra hours exploring the canals and mills of Lowell as research for a novel. And even with employers less generous, we typically had "casual Friday," meaning jeans were acceptable clothing.

Our son at Marconi Beach
on Cape Cod in 1980

But what to do for a photo representing Friday? Here is Joe Friday, the detective played by Jack Webb in Dragnet, a TV series I watched as a kid in the 1950s. That was back when Fridays just meant two days off from school.


4 comments:

Shannon Lawrence said...

I love your idea of Friday. Sand between the toes. Sometimes these days my weekends are as busy as my week days, and this makes me want to embrace the weekend again and slow things down.

Shannon at The Warrior Muse

Rosalind Adam said...

I miss that feeling of end of week now I'm working at home and can take whatever day off li like. Was it Friday who said, "it's just a hunch." ?

Rosalind Adam is Writing in the Rain

Bob Sanchez said...

The line I remember from Sgt. Friday is "Just the facts, ma'am."

AtoZ said...

When I was an office worker, I used to be a fan of Firday dressing. Now that I work from home, all days are Fridays :)

Damyanti@Amlokiblogs
Co-host, A to Z Challenge 2013

Twitter: @AprilA2Z
#atozchallenge
Read more AZ blogs here