Wednesday, January 07, 2009

First trip in a new RV, day 4

We headed south today to Ajo, a bigger town than I expected and a rather pretty place. I will have photos of it tomorrow, as we will spend a full day in the area. Our RV is at the left.

On the way, we drove through Saguaro National Park, home of millions of saguaro cacti. I read speculation once that all the saguaro may be dying, but because they both grow and die so slowly, it’s difficult to tell for a long time. I don’t know whether it’s true. The great majority I have seen, though, are badly damaged at the base, due I suppose to animals. Cactus wrens nest inside the trunks as well.

At this stop I met an older gentleman who introduced himself as Willie and told me he was bicycling across the United States for the fourth time. Nancy thinks he is homeless; she and he may both be right.


4 comments:

Sharon Reece said...

Nice looking RV. Sounds like you're enjoying your trip so far in spite of the minor aggravations. Have fun and I hope your future stops will give you better internet connections. We are on satellite and if we go over our daily download limit, we might as well not even bother getting on the internet. That may have been part of the problem at your previous location. It's something about fair access limits - hubby understands it better than I do!

Katie Hines said...

Another great installment of your journey! Keep up the good work. I feel like I'm right there with you.

Dani said...

I've always thought the homeless will be way ahead of the rest of us when the economy really tanks. They'll already be in good shape to get around on bicycles. Most of America will be huffing and puffing.

$100,000 education for the artwork in the previous post. Hmmm. I refrain from commenting further. :)

Dani
http://blogbooktours.blogspot.com

lucia said...

Great to read your progress on your journey. I like the pics. Curious if you're meeting many Native Americans; several of my students are from that area.
Luciahttp://bluestemwriters.wordpress.com/