Monday, April 28, 2014

X is for Texas



"All my exes live in Texas. That's why I'm in Tennessee." 

--Sanger and Linda Shafer

Dang, iddn't that cute? My mom and my three older brothers were born in Texas. Mom came from the tiny central Texas town of Paige, population Not Much. All of us spent most of our lives in Massachusetts, but Mom clearly missed her childhood home and the fields of springtime bluebonnets. Now that my wife and I are retired, we live only a short drive from the Texas border and the city of El Paso, where I go once a month for my writers' group meetings.

Rio Grande in the Big Bend area. Mexico is on the left bank.

Cholla cactus and bird's nest, Big Bend area.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

pretty nice blog, following :)

loverofwords said...

I'm back. The wonders which are only a day trip from Santa Fe are: Bandelier National Monument (1100-1500 AD), Santuario de Chimayo--lovely old church with wonderful art everywhere (miracles can happen as well), and Los Alamos, New Mexico--the home of the atom bomb. Last two are free, the other just requires a Parks pass. All worth while for anyone in the area.